Tuesday, June 4, 2013

TevEd Gear Review

Before I say a word about gear I have to tell yall that I feel great.  I mean, really great.  I've never felt this good after any ride longer than 10 miles, ever.  And you know what I did?

I ate.

I hate eating before/during rides.  It's awful.  I don't get nauseous, thankfully, but I am completely uninterested in food.  I can go 30 miles on a powerbar without bonking.  I can do a 50 on two powerbars and survive.

But I feel like shit for several days afterwards.  I am wracked by starvation-level hunger pangs for several days.  I always get DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness, that horrible pain you feel two days after you go to the gym for the first time in a month).

And during the ride, my seat gets worse and worse.  That's the whole reason I made a vow to myself to eat at TevEd - because my horse deserves better.

Several of my friends told me to just make eating on the trail a chore - something I have to do, whether I like it or not.  So I made up 8 little packets of food for each day.  Each little packet was about 100 calories, and most of them contained some fat, protein, and carbs.  A lot of e-riders swear by stuff like applesauce packets, but I personally know that eating just carbs will crash my energy fast, so I must have some fat and protein too.  Your mileage will vary.

I checked my watch when we left Foresthill and every single hour on the hour I pulled out a packet and ate it.  I had: hard cheese, half-powerbars, beef jerky, nut clusters, and 2:1 almond butter and nutella.  Everything went down ok, and there wasn't so much food in any given packet that I got bored - eating a whole powerbar is just too much chewing when I'm thinking about riding.  But five little nut squares, or a finger-sized piece of cheese, that much I can do.

And I have had no DOMS and no famine-victim hunger pangs.  You really must eat and drink on the trail if you want to be a good partner.  You must at least try it.

***

Other gear:

Aarene loaned me a sheepskin seat saver.  It tied on to my saddle a lot more securely than I thought it would, and it never slipped or bunched up under my girlie bits.  I am ordering a full fleece but I don't think it'll show up before Sunriver.  Really looking forward to ditching the half-chaps - they look awesome but they hot me up when I'm running.

I tied my pommel bags so they hung completely forward, on Dixie's shoulders and off of the saddle.  That, plus the sheepskin, plus paying a lot of attention to my seat, let me ride the miles and miles of downhill without bruising myself.

So I officially love my Specialized saddle now.  I wanted to love it before, but it did me so wrong at Washoe -  I slipped forward and banged into the pommel and pommel bag seams and I got so bruised I looked like a DV victim.

I mentioned hooves already, but I gotta say the Easyboot Gloves just keep working for me.  My usual caveats apply:  they're not for everyone, they don't stay on some horses' way of going, and there are better boots (Renegades, Back Countries) if you can't/won't touch up your horse's trim.  But Gloves work shockingly well for Miss D.  I'd love to test-ride some of the new Renegade Vipers at some point, but I know Gloves stay on well enough for the next ride.

In general, I try not to tie on stuff I don't need, because it's just increasing your weight, heat load, and risk of rubs.  But I added a cantle bag, an old-school Griffin's model that looks like a tiny duffel bag.  I threw two old spare Gloves in it, and I actually used one - I lost one rear Glove entirely in the first couple miles of the trail.

My Kolorful Cages worked great; they didn't pinch or rub my toes at all.

In one of Mel's Cache Creek posts, she talked about how wonderful her "helmet skirt" was in the heat.  In the jumble of moving, I found a cooling helmet skirt I bought last year and never used, so I took that to TevEd and it was absolutely amazing.  When it was hydrated, it kept me quite comfortable - but when it dried out, it just trapped heat and contributed to my heat exhaustion.  I must remember to re-wet it at every vet check.  That particular model has four velcro loops, and I attached it to my helmet by punching holes in that mesh that covers the helmet vents.

I had my GPS, but as usual I hit the wrong button several times and the results aren't useful.  I don't know how much longer I'll keep carrying it.  I've gotten a decent sense of how fast we're moving, so I don't need it for that, and I've started wearing a watch.  I can check Dixie's pulse (one beat per second means the horse is down), keep track of when I should eat, and keep track of my overall pace pretty well.  I guessed we'd do the ride in seven hours, and we did it in 7:15.  When we left LQ, I looked at my watch and thought we'd make the finish at 1:45, and that's exactly when we came in.  :smug:

Sometime in April I lost my little crop.  I keep thinking it'll turn up in the garage or at the barn but perhaps it's gone for good.  I did Washoe and TevEd without needing it, so I guess it's off the usual roster.

Mel reports that her spackle recipe doesn't work in GoToobs, but my nutella/almond butter stuff works perfectly in them.  I, er, haven't actually cleaned them out yet so I don't know how awful that's gonna be, but it's definitely worth it.

Everything else was pretty much unchanged - Merrell Lithe Gloves on my feet, Butt Butt'r on my butt, a 1.5 liter Camelback that I drained between every vet check, Hammer Endurolyte pills with my mandatory food (probably should package the pills with the individual food packets, and up it to 2 per hour in the heat), a long-sleeved runner's shirt and gloves to keep me from getting too toasted.  C recommended me a new shelf-bra runner's tank top that worked wonderfully, but I bought the last size L in existence and that model is discontinued, so I won't taunt yall with a glowing description.

And no panties.  Death to panties.

31 comments:

  1. "And no panties. Death to panties."

    Best. Line. Ever.

    What kind of cheese did you have? I lvoe cheese and I've managed to carry string cheese in my pack before, but I always worry about it a bit when it gets warm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IIRC, it was aged Manchego. I wanted something hard cause it'd be less gross than hot wet cheese, and it was the first thing I ate so it was still cool. It was great, salty and dense. I think an aged cheddar would be ok, too.

      Delete
  2. good hints on the eating of treats from little baggies. I had such a bad time at my last ride. Like you I CAN keep going on nothing, but I KNOW I'd do better eating (gee, surprise surprise).

    I use my watch for timing, etc, but I do turn my GPS on when I start the ride (I just use my phone), but I don't look at it again till the end of the ride. It's more just to track the ride, see the elevation info after the fact, etc.

    Successful tack and clothing just makes your ride SO much easier, since you can concentrate on actually riding and your horse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not gonna lie, the thought of riding without panties sounds like death!

    I LIKE this baggies of food idea! Like most I usually am nauseous or just power on without eating well and generally regret it..if it's difficult or messy I'm totally not going to deal with it on the trail, so something quick and easy and consistent in small amounts sounds great.

    MMM cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You carry your phone when you ride right? Maybe instead of the GPS try the EquiTrak app to keep track of your rides, and your watch while you're actually riding (since that seems to be working)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phone GPS's suck the battery way WAY too fast. I haven't tried it on the current phone, but the phone before this got maybe 4 hours GPS time. Even my wristwatch Garmin GPS barely has enough juice for a 12-hour 50 and I'd have to recharge it at the holds to make a 100 in it.

      Delete
    2. I use my iphone 4S and use Strava to record tracks. I did Cache Creek, phone was on for 10 hours, I still had 20% battery life. I turn off WiFi and anything else I need. It wouldn't last a 100, but it might be good to see a partial track.

      Delete
    3. Interesting! I haven't even installed a GPS on my phone, it's the new one. The iPhone 5 I guess? The last time I used one was with my challenged phone, the one that never worked quite right after it took a bath in Dixie's water tank, and I could go through 80% of my battery in 2 hours. I'll try Strava for my phone.

      Delete
  5. Panties are death! I never eat at horse shows until I'm done showing, and even though it's not a 50 mile ride it really doe make me feel bad. I'll try to eat next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No panties riding? Dear god Funder... I think I have to try this. I've always had the most embarrassing chafing issues even with the nicest and softest of panties and I'm raw and sometimes bleeding in places that aren't supposed to be after most endurance rides. I'm planning on trying the butt butter as Rose and I finally come off our seven month injury rest and whip are fat lazy asses into shape but panty-less riding may be in my future.

    I always envy those who can go even 25 miles without snacks. I have to eat or else I'd keel over somewhere down the trail or start puking in hunger (lovely, right?) in grand fashion as I have several times in the past. I usually pack several bananas or apples and some peanut butter or a protein bar in my vet check stuff or nibble on an apple going down the trail. Rose likes the apples and when I'm done I just share it with Rose and we continue down our merry way.

    What's this Renegade Viper? Rose and I are retrying booting now that she's finally getting herself truly straightened out and so far so good... only one destroyed boot and it was just a cable torn. Maybe someone will have some gloves I can try and see if they work better but Rose still is amazing at stepping on the side of her boots and mangling them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG just try it. I was not real sure about the idea at first but it really works for a lot of people.

      Vipers are the new Renegade design they're field-testing right now. I know Mel and Ashley have done some miles in them, but they're not officially out yet. And try Gloves if you can, especially if she's interfering with the same pair of legs - they're the slimmest boots available and she might not be able to rip them off by the sides.

      Delete
  7. Agree with Ashley, your panty line us the best blog line ever! do you have a Sunriver eating plan yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything I ate at TevEd worked great, so more of the same. Maybe potato salad and steak (precooked, rare, so you can just heat it up or I can eat it cold) for lunch/dinner? Or brats? More electrolytes. Some not-too-disgusting ensure-type drinks I've found.

      I'm so, so grateful that I don't have a queasy stomach. It's so much easier to make yourself eat when it's just boring.

      Delete
  8. Wow, I could not go without eating like that after 50 minutes let alone 50 miles! Glad you're taking care of yourself in that respect better. I tend to run low on blood sugar quickly and the worst part is that I don't feel hungry - I just crash. In fact, it can be hard to want to eat when I'm low. I've found electrolyte chews (my fave: shot blocks)easy to consume and have around. I also like little soy milk "juice" boxes good since it gives the protein, which is key.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great!
    Since I'm Probably Never Gonna Ride That Far, That Long...I'm Keeping My"Smarty Pants" Undies -ON!
    You Just Simply*ROCK! I Remember When Dixie Was This Green, Secondary Horse You Had..... She's Really So Amazing!

    I'm Actually "Trading Up"
    My Twisting Like Shit, Renegades For More EB Gloves. Getting Fit For Them Thurs!!! I'm So Happy They Made Wide Finally.

    Ride Long!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I second allhorsestuff. I remember when Dixie was so green that you could barely ride her, you had to crash her into a tree to stop her. And look at you guys now. Such an amazing and inspiring journey (in more than one sense)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yall! :) I can't believe how far we've come, really, and I'm so glad you've been there for most of the journey!

      Delete
  11. So far, the food thing for me has not been an issue. I can eat pretty much whatever.. glad for that. I found what I like most is a piece of meat of some kind, an apple and some nuts or peanut butter or cheese sticks (salt) have worked out good for me. Since the most I have ever ridden is 40 miles , I never worried about getting too hungry. Ate a little protein bar at the start and then packed along snacks like I mentioned. I do have to drink a lot and I never have enough.I have a camel back but it's more for hiking and too large to riding but I thought about one of these for riding as opposed to carrying water bottles..
    so ,really, it doesn't bounce?? It seems like they would but I see alot of folks using them.. My saddle packs have water holders and no matter what they bounce which drives me mad. They aren't supposed to . They are the good ones from SnugPax. They are fine for easy riding but no matter how much I tie them down to my saddle they bounce when Maggie trots.. I hate them.. So maybe the camel bak is the way to go?? what kind of camel back do you use? What size?

    Do you think the new saddle made the muscle fatigue lessen/disappear? I know it helped for me. I didn't have to work near as hard to stay with my horse.

    When you go to SUNRIVER, be on the look out for a lady named Sherrie Callaway. She is headed to Tevis again this year so is doing Sunriver as a prep ride. She is a friend of mine and I rode with her a lot in the beginning of me getting into this sport. Her horses don't look like much but she usually does well She will be riding Greystoke and Flag, both are grey arabs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely less fatigued because I ate. I was incredibly sore after Washoe, the first (two) rides in the new saddle, and I didn't eat enough there. I did eat enough at TevEd and I'm just not sore at all. My thighs were a little puffy and I could feel I'd really worked my core and legs, but I just didn't get any DOMS.

      Camelbak changes their lineup every year so I can't find my exact model anymore, but I think I just went to REI and found a women's model that I liked. It's got a belt strap and a chest strap (the thing that snaps between the shoulder straps, above your boobs?) and it stays very tight against my back. You can hear the water slosh but that's pretty easy to get used to.

      Mine's 50 oz which is adequate. I might get a 70 oz when I replace it but really, 50 oz is 1.5 liters of water and that's enough to get you vet check to vet check.

      I will look for Sherrie! Two grey Arabs should be easy to find, right? ;)

      Delete
    2. Another option to consider if you don't want to do water bottles, but also don't want the camelbak strapped to your back is what I have gone to. I use a platypus bottle with the hose attachment, stick it in a sungpax hoof/saddle bag and suck the water from the hose. It's great because if I drop the hose, no biggie. I can clip the hose to myself or the bag, but I have the freedom of not carrying the weight on my shoulders. I'm going to do a post soon about my "water system" but I've used it at a couple conditioning rides and at Cache creek and it works great.

      Delete
    3. ah, yes, the kind that strap above the ta-ta-s I was hoping for one that puts the strap below for a little extra lift...any lines on those kind? lol! Yes, two grey arabs should be a breeze to find! good luck.. just thought it would cool if you saw her and could say, "hey , I know a girl you know..".. on second thought , that sounds totally lame but anyways, Sherrie is a stud in the endurance scene.. not sure how the hell she does it.. like I said, her horses always look a little rough..

      Mel- what the hell is a Platypus bottle??does it involve a small furry creature that is half beaver and half duck?? I will have to watch for that post because the idea of something on my shoulders is really not something I like.. I have ongoing neck issues and I am afraid it would just agitate it more so if I can avoid it.. all the better..

      Delete
    4. Jonna, it's another brand of Camelback, in the same spot at REI or whatever store you go to. But it's just the liner with a nozzle or hose on it so you can tuck it into your bags.

      Dude, I talk to people in ridecamps all the time. Somebody at Foresthill thought I was Aarene; sometimes I get recognized from this blog, and sometimes I go introduce myself to strangers. No sweat if I see Sherrie!

      Delete
    5. Here's a link to a bunch of platypus bottles: https://www.google.com/search?q=platypus+bottle&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb#q=platypus+bottle&client=firefox-a&hs=zbP&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=OA-xUaSWFOP-igLDl4HQAw&ved=0CEQQsxg&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47534661,d.cGE&fp=c9d6b4b0b85ed8b3&biw=1072&bih=666

      I like them because they can double as regular water bottles too. I use them backpacking because they are light and versitile.

      Delete
    6. Thanks for the clarification and the links on the Platypus thing.. Clearly I am not up to snuff on my backpacking gear! They sound like a potential option though for me.. I will definitely check it out.

      Funder- gheesh. I so had you for an introvert!!(just kidding) Don't believe anything she says about me!!!

      Delete
    7. I am totally an introvert. I just put on my game face for rides. When I'm hot and tired I go hide in the back of my trailer and recharge my batteries! It's just... endurance is a community, and it's the community I've felt most at home with ever, and I need to interact with these people.

      My husband thinks (nay, he knows) I am nuts, in a good way. My non-horse friends can't even comprehend the effort. The women at my barn are nice, but they think a brisk 90 minute trail walk is plenty. Endurance people are the only ones who get it, and it's so awesome to talk to the great riders, talk to the new riders, talk to my peers.

      Delete
  12. Food, bah. I *finally* found the perfect endurance food and now the company is going out of business! I did locate a stash in a local food co-op and bought a bunch, but when those are gone I'll be stranded!

    Anybody feel like experimenting around to try to replicate?

    The website is http://www.bellytimberbars.com/bars and if you click on the picture of a bar it shows the ingredient list.

    Blueberry worked best for me--only trace amounts of sugar, which is poisonous for me, and the texture is like a very dense, very moist, slightly nutty bread. Hmmm. Might have to post it as a blog post later this week, but would appreciate feedback if readers here have ideas!

    ALSO: No knickers = only way to fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those look really tasty, and no wheat! Too bad they're going out of business. I'll keep an eye out for your kind of bars next time I go to REI and maybe have a suggestion or two.

      Delete
    2. Have you ever tried Lara bars? The ingredients are simple and they taste delicious.

      Delete
    3. Larabars are quite low in protein compared to the carbs, which isn't so good for me, and... I hate dates. I mean, I really detest dates. I try not to be a picky eater and most of the time if I see food, I eat it, but UGH DATES UGH! ;)

      Delete
  13. I still have a tough time eating... live on V-8. Also like Second Nature Celebration Medley, but it melts in hot weather! :-( As to the undies - sorry ladies - I'm too "old fashioned" find the thinnest, coolest & go with it...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment!